The Law Offices of Cooper, Storm & Piscopo - family law

Contact Us

877-391-7889 630-232-6170
Our offices are ready to serve your needs during this crisis. However, effective immediately, for the health and safety our staff and clients, and everyone in our community, we are taking steps to limit in person contact in our offices except in extraordinary circumstances. Please do not come into the offices without contacting us first. We will be glad to schedule phone appointments! We are also taking steps to handle important matters for our existing and prospective clients whenever and wherever possible by electronic means. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us by phone or email. Thank you for your understanding and patience. We will all get through this if we work together!

Cooper, Storm &
Piscopo Blog

in the section

How does the appeal process work in Illinois?

If you believe the verdict you received during a trial at a circuit court in Illinois was made in error, you have the right to appeal. The appeal process has numerous steps, and it's important to understand these steps even when you have professional legal representation. To help you along, the Illinois Courts offers the following information. 

The appellate process entails filing many official notices to different entities. The clerk of the circuit court where your hearing was held will receive a notice of appeal, while the court reporters must be notified to prepare the transcripts. The clerk of courts must also prepare the record on appeal, which is provided to the appellate court which will be deciding on your appeal. You'll be responsible for providing the appellate court a notice of filing. 

Once all documents are received by the appellate court, you can file your brief. At this point, the appellee, which is the other party involved in the hearing, is free to respond to the brief. If he or she decides to do so, you can respond with a reply brief. Once all parties have had the opportunity to respond, the court will look at these responses, as well as all the other information provided, and make a decision on the appeal request. 

It's possible that your appeal will be denied. If so, you have two options. You can ask the court to reconsider the issue by filing a petition for rehearing. In the petition, you must explain why the court was in error regarding your appeal. You can also file a petition for leave to appeal with the Illinois Supreme Court. If you choose this option, the court will review the appellate court's decision and determine whether it should be upheld. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact The Firm

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Contact Us
The Law Offices Cooper, Storm & Piscopo hours of operation

Monday-Friday: 8-4:30 pm
Saturday & Evenings: By Appointment Only

117 South 2nd Street
Geneva, IL 60134

Geneva Business Law Office